Office of the Registrar
Enrollment News and Updates
Thank you for choosing the Public Schools of Petoskey!! We are committed to providing an excellent education to all students.
Our mission statement includes:
- ALL students will read, write and compute at or above grade level.
- ALL students and Staff will show respect for self and others.
We are committed to these goals and strive daily to ensure we meet the needs of every one of our students.
Recognizing that a well-rounded education includes more than bookwork, the Public Schools of Petoskey boasts numerous programs designed to show our young people the many opportunities available to them. We offer a superb athletic program, with over 20 sports for students to participate in. Our music and band programs are continually recognized at regional and State levels, while our enrichment programs offer students opportunities to excel in areas such as drama, debate, foreign languages, art, and forensics. After school activities and clubs are also available across a wide spectrum of interests, and are open to all students. This is just a small sampling of the many activities available to the students of the Public Schools of Petoskey. Hopefully, you can begin to see why we believe the Public Schools of Petoskey is "A Special Place for Everyone."
- All Student Registration Form
- Enrollments are handled at the Spitler Administration Building, 1130 Howard Street, Petoskey, MI. Please bring the following information with you at the time of enrollment:
- Registration form
- Up-to-date immunization records
- Residency documentation - property tax bill or lease agreement showing parent/guardian name and physical address
- Original birth certificate (we will make a copy)
- If special needs, a copy of the last IEP and MET report
- Unfortunately, we cannot process any enrollments that are missing this state-required information.
- Any questions please contact our district registrar, Nicole Morrow at 231.348.2354.
- The Public Schools of Petoskey conducts its annual "Kindergarten Roundup" for the upcoming Fall school year in April. Children who will be 5 years old on or before September 1st are eligible to enroll. All registration forms should be completed and mailed to Spitler Administration Building, Attn: Registrar's Office, 1130 Howard Street or faxed to Spitler at 231.348.2342. This should be done as soon as possible.
- Kindergarten Registration forms will be available at any of the elementary schools or the Registrar's office in the Spitler Administration Building, 1130 Howard Street, Petoskey, MI 49770.
- All students must have a vision check, up-to-date immunization verification, residency documentation and the original birth certificate included with the enrollment form. Unfortunately, we cannot process any enrollments that are missing this State-required information.
- Vision checks and immunizations can be obtained from your family doctor, or from the Emmet County Health Department. Please contact the Health Department ahead of time to arrange your appointment.
- The District does not assign elementary students to buildings based on geographic regions, but rather on the consideration of several factors (proximity to the building IS one factor) that help ensure ALL students are provided the best service possible. If you have a school preference, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your request!!
- We make tentative building assignments prior to Kindergarten Roundup, and communicate this information to our parents. Please note, however, that these assignments are tentative, and may change as circumstances dictate.
- Final student building assignments are complete by August 30th. If you have not received notification of where your student is assigned by that time, please contact Nicole Morrow, district registrar at 231.348.2354.
Schools of Choice
- Applications for the 2017-2018 school year will be available April 1st, 2017.
- The Public Schools of Petoskey does participate in the Schools of Choice program.
- All applicants are asked to fill out a "Schools of Choice Form" -available April 1st. Please turn the completed form into the Registrar's Office in the Spitler Administration Building located at 1130 Howard Street, Petoskey, MI 49770. Forms must be received (not postmarked) by July 1st to be considered. Please view the Inter-District Open Enrollment Agreement
- Incomplete forms, including those lacking the resident superintendent's signature or missing physical address, may result in an application not being processed. If you have any questions, please contact Nicole Morrow, district registrar at 231.348.2354 or Kent Cartwright, administrator for Schools of Choice at 231.348.2348 and they will be happy to assist you.
- Immediately after June 15th, Char-Em ISD will consolidate and publish all district openings, including Petoskey's, in local newspapers.
- Local districts, including Petoskey, accept applications for Open Enrollment Drawing until July 1st. Applications for this random draw close on July 1st.
- The Public Schools of Petoskey will accept applications for Schools of Choice after July 1st, but these are placed on a waiting list in the order they are received. The late applications are considered only after all applications received prior to July 1st are assigned.
- Between July 1st and July 6th, the District will conduct a drawing with applications received for grades/programs with more applicants than openings. The draw is continued until all names are drawn, with the excess applicants going on a waiting list in the order they are drawn.
- Immediately after the drawing, parents are notified that they may enroll their student(s). Parents must enroll their student no later than September 15th, or risk forfeiting the seat. The District Enrollment Form is available on-line or at any District School Building.
- If parents fail to enroll or if openings occur subsequent to the draw, the Public Schools of Petoskey will go to the waiting list and notify parents in the order they appear on the list that they are eligible to enroll their student(s). The September 15th deadline will still apply for accepting enrollments.
- Students who are not enrolled by September 15th must wait until the next Schools of Choice application window, which usually starts again the following Spring.