Special Education

5. College/PostSecondary Education

  • If a student goes on to college and requires special accommodations, the student will need to "self-identify" that they need accommodations which can be verified by a former IEP, section 504 plan or a letter from a doctor, clinical rehabilitation worker, certified social worker or psychologist. If the college will not make the accommodations, the student or their guardian will need to follow the rules under the Americans with Disability Act for requesting accommodations or to file a complaint.

  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 applies to any college or university that receives federal funding and states that "on otherwise qualified individual with a disability ... shall, solely by reason of her or his disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefit of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."

  • Please feel free to direct questions to:

Dr. Lynn Slanec 
Teaching & Learning Director
Public Schools of Petoskey
1130 Howard Street
Petoskey, MI 49770
231.348.2352 (phone)
231.348.2342 (fax)